Position Title: Pasteurization Technician
Reports to: Lab Manager and Executive Director
Perform milk processing in a laboratory setting for the Minnesota Milk Bank for Babies, following regulatory guidelines and food safety standards. This position provides opportunities to learn more about the impact of breastfeeding on maternal and child health and human milk feeding for medically vulnerable infants.
One full-time at 40 hrs/wk and one part-time at 24 hrs/wk with potential to go to FT.
- Follows aseptic technique and wears personal protective equipment (PPE) during milk processing
- Cleans and sanitizes work areas, equipment, and facility to meet licensing and accreditation standards
- Identifies milk for processing and pooling based on established criteria
- Performs milk pooling and pasteurization using clean technique and following good manufacturing practices
- Identifies milk for microbiological testing
- Keeps accurate documentation of laboratory processes following good documentation practices
- Enters data accurately into computer software including Microsoft Excel, Access, and an online data management system
- Uses laboratory equipment including but not limited to freezers and refrigerators, sanitizing dishwashers, automatic dispensing equipment, logging thermometers, and shaking water baths
- Follows labeling requirements carefully
- Assists in monitoring laboratory equipment and supplies to maintain proper inventory
- Unpacks, sorts, and logs milk received and prepares shipping boxes for dispensing milk to hospitals
- Assists Depot Coordinator/Lab Manager with arranging transfer of milk from depots to the milk bank
- Works in tandem with other MMBB staff members; assists with daily tasks as requested.
- Respects and adheres to policies regarding private donor information
- Other duties as assigned.
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job
This position does not have supervisory duties
- Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Familiarity with sterile and/or aseptic techniques required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel required
- Comfortable with technology, computers, and ability to learn custom data management system
- Extremely detail-oriented and ability to work with numbers
- Ability to critically think and problem-solve through issues that may arise during daily workflow
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to take and pass skills tests in data entry and MS Excel
Education or Formal Training:
High school degree required; some college preferred
Certified in Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) or ability to obtain certification
Food Handler’s certification (Serv Safe) or ability to obtain certification
Experience working in a laboratory setting, food manufacturing facility, or food service
- Small, start-up non-profit entering its second year of operation
- Busy, fast-paced environment that is team-based with staff cross-trained to perform multiple duties
- Monday to Friday work required at Golden Valley site. No remote work option.
- Potential for job growth and cross-training in other areas of operations
- Able to stand and move adeptly during course of day
- Position requires significant standing and reaching
- Able to lift up to 40lbs
- Position may require contact with biohazards and with cleaning chemicals
Hours and Benefits:
1 full-time, 40hrs/week. Monday – Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
1 part-time, 24 hours with option of either 4 six-hour days or 3 eight- hour days during weekdays.
Paid time off and paid holidays. Closed weekends and major holidays.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Apply at MMBB’s Indeed.com page. Submit resume and 2-3 references. Skills test for data entry and basic MSExcel speadsheet given. Background check will be conducted for those who work for the milk bank. Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.