Due to an upgrade of our electronic records and database system we are not scheduling screenings for new inquiries to donate milk until after September 30, 2020. After this date, please send an email or call us at 763-546-8051 for an update and to schedule a screening.
Thank you for choosing to donate your extra milk to the Minnesota Milk Bank for Babies (MMBB). Because of you we are able to serve premature and other hospitalized infants in Minnesota and the Upper Midwest. The main recipients of MMBB donated milk are babies who are the most fragile, vulnerable, and at risk. When donations permit, we also dispense to infants at home.
We appreciate all who are interested in donating and to ensure the safety of the milk for premature and medically fragile babies there are certain qualifications to meet in order to donate. Our screening process usually takes about 3-6 weeks to complete.
Four step process for donating milk:
- Have a health & lifestyle screening by phone
- Complete a written application packet
- Get a blood test (paid for by the Milk Bank)
- Drop off milk (if approved as a donor) at a depot or send milk to the milk bank (shipping paid for by the milk bank)
Breastmilk Donors Are
- In good health
- Collecting extra breastmilk beyond what their baby needs or milk that can’t be used by their baby
- Not using tobacco products
- Not using CBD oil, marijuana, or recreational drugs
- Not using alcohol daily
- Not taking herbal supplements. Some teas may be acceptable.
- Willing to donate a minimum of 200 – 250 oz. of frozen milk initially. (If donating after an infant loss any amount is welcome.)
- Only taking medications that are approved and safe for milk donations
- At low risk, along with their sexual partner, for HIV/AIDS and other communicable diseases (e.g. hepatitis B or C, or syphilis) and take a blood test
- Aware of travel restrictions that pertain to extensive time spent in France, Ireland, or the United Kingdom. (Read this explanation for more information).
- We accept breast milk stored in the freezer for up to 7 months and collected before baby’s first birthday.
Ready to start? Send us an email at email@example.com*
*Due to an upgrade of our electronic records and database system we are not scheduling screenings for new inquiries to donate milk until after September 30, 2020. After this date, please send an email or call us at 763-546-8051 for an update and to schedule a screening.
Please include in your email:
- Your name, phone number and address
- The best day and times to reach you for a 20 minute screening call
- Estimate of how much breast milk (ounces) you have stored for donation
- Approximate date of the oldest frozen milk
- Baby’s date of birth
- Any questions you have
We will contact you by phone to begin your health screening. Please be prepared to tell us about your health history and any medications or herbal supplements you are taking (or were taking while pumping).
More questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 763-546-8051.